tel: 0845 177 0163
In 1959 Denis Underwood joined W Gerwyn Williams to create “W Gerwyn Williams & Underwood Ltd”, working from offices at 185 Dock Street, Newport.
Rapid expansion took place after a relationship with “The Coal Board” was established during the 1960’s, with the company becoming chief advisers on insurance matters across the UK. in addition, personal insurance services were provided to the National Union of Mineworkers.
In 1971, the company moved to it’s current premises, Insurance House, Caerau Road, in Newport.
The anticipated demise of the coal industry encouraged the company to focus more on local business, and this was a priority when Neil Underwood joined in 1988, after W Gerwyn Williams had retired in 1986.
In 1999, a new company, “Underwood Insurance Services Ltd”, acquired the business of “Williams & Underwood”, with the chairmanship being assumed by Denis Underwood, with Neil Managing Director. Subsequently, Richard Rowlands and Dave Brassey became directors.
Since then the company has gone from strength to strength, recruiting wherever possible to enable good, steady growth, which it expects to continue into the future.